I’ve been itchin’ to take that photo for ages, as my favourite mug was so fitting.
This was my first adult-sized knit, so I was quite nervous. So many patterns are just hit or miss, but when you are using a large amount of yarn for a pattern, you want to have a nice result.
Since I knit mostly small items, I don’t have large amount of any one yarn. A friend posted a link to a TradeMe auction for 13 balls of pink Wendy 100% cotton yarn, with pickup just a 35 minute drive away. PERFECT. I was heading out to a knitting night almost two weeks ago that was in the same area where I needed to go to pick up the yarn, so picked up the yarn, headed to the knittaccino, and walked in with my new stash of yarn. I was proudly showing it off when a few people started laughing. Turns out the woman who listed the auction was in the room. New Zealand is small I tell ya!
So the cotton yarn was DK, instead of the recommended worsted weight, so planned to go up one size in the pattern. I ended up doing the raglan increases for the smaller size (L instead of XL) and it was fitting fine. I did 6 decrease sets, some straight rows and 16 increase sets (oh that pear shaped body) at the bottom.
I was worried about the cast off. I figured I could use a larger needle to increase the stretch of the cast off, but traditional cast off isn’t very decorative. So I opted for a sewn cast off that is done to look like the long tail cast on. It was a mission, I have to say. The bottom of the sweater took a good 3 hours to cast off, with the always present fear that I would run out of yarn, seeing I am perpetually underestimating everything. But it came out nice, and even has more stretch then my normal cast off edge. Definitely worth the effort I reckon.
I am so not a photographer, so apologies for the pics, but these two are closer up pics of the pocket and the sleeve.
Will definitely be doing this pattern again for next winter. Top-down raglan knits are just plain WICKED!