I have quite a few friends who are amazing knitters. I love being inspired by others’ creativity, and even more so, when I know them personally. One of these friends is Gabes. In addition to being a fabulous WAHM, she knits like the wind. So many beautiful creations fly off her needles.
Recently, Gabes’ nephew was diagnosed with Leukemia, so she decided to knit him a hat to keep him warm during his chemo. It was while she was knitting the hat, that she had a brainwave. She worked up her pattern for the hat and now has it as a free pattern on her blog, with the request of making a donation to the Child Cancer Foundation (NZ)
Gabes asked for pattern testers, so I put up my hand. Waved impatiently while jumping up and down until she noticed me and sent me the pattern. I quickly got out my needles and cast on. I finished the knitting part of the hat that evening. The next part of the pattern had to do with pure needle hell picking up stitches.
Why I have a phobia of picking up stitches, I DON’T KNOW. Something about trying to do what I consider more of a crochet stitch, all while using a hook-less needle. Then I had a brainwave of my own. Are you sitting down? Drumroll………………………………………. CROCHET THE EDGING YOU IDIOT!!!!
So, 15 minutes, and about 3 months later, I have finally finished. What a great pattern tester I was. Not.
Anyway, here is the finished hat, Finally! It’s knit in Twilley’s Freedom Spirit, with Cleckheaton Color 4 me on the edging.
This is what it would look like on a newborn babe, except the babe wouldn’t be sitting on the table, of course!!
I made a few alterations from Gabes’ pattern, the first of which was to crochet the edge. Instead of starting at the earflap points, I started at the back seam, and crocheted 92 single stitches, ending with a slip stitch into the first single stitch. Easy peasy!
Second alteration was how I attached the tassels. I cut the three pieces of yarn as per the pattern, but looped it instead of threading it through the Ear Flap Points. I used a 4mm crochet hook, inserted it from wrong side to right side, hooked my three pieces of yarn and pulled the loop through to the back of the flap.
Then i looped the loose strands onto the hook and pulled them through the loop at the back side. This gives a nice finish to the tip of the ear flap.
I plaited (braided) and voila!
One Ear Flap Hat!!
Gabes, if you’ve gotten this far, I sure do hope you’ll still let me test for you next time. Doh!